Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Cornhole Game

This past weekend, we had hamburgers at our older son's house and afterward we played a couple of hours of the cornhole game. This was three out of five players first time playing and we did fairly well ourselves. Our son made the boards and I made the beanbags. One of the bags busted about an hour into play though. Our son stapled it but we continued to have trouble all night with that one bag after that. I used beans instead of corn feed to fill the bags with hoping that would eliminate problems. I filled to the regulation weight of 16 oz. so it wasn't the weight.  My husband said the ones he has used in the past used smaller filler. So I'm going to make two new sets and use rice in them this time.  Several people complain about the corn filler for multiple reasons so that's why I'm trying the substitute fillers. I am also going to make the new bags in a way to avoid stress on the raw edges by avoiding raw edges at the seams. I did zigzag the raw edges on the first two sets but I really feel that the raw edges still may have contributed to the tearing of the one bag. I encourage you to try this game yourself. I don't typically have time for fun but this is too fun to pass up this weekend's invitation. So I will have the new bags ready for more competition this weekend. Yes, this is serious. This weekend it will be girls vs. boys. There are even phone apps for score keeping which my husband has already downloaded one to his phone. It's a fun family game that almost any age can enjoy.

Of course, now that I know what I'm doing and have improved the design in my head, I will have a step-by-step beanbag tutorial for you by the weekend. Wikipedia has a good article about how to play the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole. We do play using the elimination method and we play 'til one team reaches 21 points. That makes the games last a little longer. The Wikipedia article also provides some fun terminology. Challenge yourself and try to toss two or more bags at once.

This weekend, we're going to have homemade Fuddrucker's hamburgers. Hubby and I offered pizza but when our older son found out that I hand patted the hamburger patties last weekend (which I have always done so I'm not sure why that was news to him) he wanted us to get the ingredients to mix into the meat and bring more patties with us this weekend.

Have a nice day!
www.ECraftClasses.com
www.ECraftClasses.blogspot.com
www.RagQuiltClassroom.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment