Friday, February 25, 2011

Week in Crafts 02/25/2011

Since I've finished three classes these last couple of weeks, I spent some time reading through new magazines and newsletters.
I found a basket project using strips of old shirts and an embroidery hoop below in the March 2011 issue of Family Fun magazine. They also have a small rug project made from strips of old shirts and a hula hoop. It just so happens that I do have several old shirts that we removed from the closets last week that I was going to use as rags, but now I must use them on these projects. I will have to go on the prowl for pretty cotton knit fabrics at Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabrics soon.

I am desperately in need of a black purse and I haven't been able to find one at the local department stores that I like. Simply black is just boring. Most of them are huge too. I just want something that I can put my wallet, checkbook, cell phone and a few other small items in. When I received my All People Quilt newsletter from Better Homes and Gardens, they were featuring purse patterns. I had already selected some black and cream prints from my stash to create a purse for a new pattern/class, but when I saw this particular pattern I wanted to try it. It took me only 2 hours to make the purse below which saved me a lot of time since I need the purse this weekend. I will still have my tote class available shortly (which will not be made from black and cream fabric now nor is it similar to this pattern at all). In the meantime, here's the link to this purse pattern: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects-ideas/bags-pillows/pick-a-pocket-purse_1.html. The straps are shorter than shown in the picture at the link. That's fine with me. However if you want yours to be longer so you can carry it on your shoulder, you'll want to cut your strap strips a few inches longer than the instructions call for. Ironically, this is one of those details that I mentioned in yesterday's blog post about testing your instructions and having it proofread thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment